Space, Place, and Gender: Simplified!
Okay, this is going to be the most serious blog on this page.
I
would be lying if I said I understood most of the general introduction chapter
of Space, Place, and Gender. I could
be alone in this, and perhaps I should have read over everything a fourth time,
but I could not wrap my head around some of the sentences. For most of the
beginning of the excerpt, I just stared blankly at my screen, wondering if one
summer had really damaged my brain capacity this significantly. At first, I
found the Massey’s sentences very choppy, often using repetitive phrases and
unnecessary wording. It felt that she wrote it under certain guidelines, with
no creativity in sentence structure. On page 7, she writes,
Moreover, many feminists have argued
against such ways of thinking,
such definitions of identity. The
argument is that we need to have the
courage to abandon such defensive - yet
designed for dominance –
means of definition. Many feminists
have argued for 'thinking in terms
of relations'. It is the strategy
adopted here, in very general terms, for
rethinking the concepts of space and
place.
I
am in no position to critique a published writer’s work, but I read this
thinking it could have been written so much simpler. No matter how interested I
was, it felt that I could not grasp any of the main concepts at first. Massey is
obviously well-educated and knows how to write—that much I can understand—but
it felt that I had to stop myself after every paragraph and think to myself, what did I just read? Some sentences
actually transported my train of thought into interesting topics. When reading
about how space and time were connected, I somehow ended on the tangent of
whether a really small organism or a really large organism would ever feel the
motion of the earth moving. The answer is most likely neither, but that’s where
my mind traveled as my eyes went on.
When the sentences became more concise, it was much
easier for me to understand the concepts. Generally, it might be more
professional to use more intelligent words, but sometimes one can
overcomplicate a sentence that would otherwise be easily understood. I value
understanding the information, especially in a non-fiction piece, more than
being in awe of someone’s vast vocabulary. That being said, if it were a
fictional story, and the author is her own thesaurus, I’d say go for it. The
most significant tool for me to understand the latter portion of the excerpt
was Massey’s uses of examples. On page 12, I was excited, because her
incorporation of the discussion of feminism and the differences between
masculinity and femininity helped me conceptualize how space and place were
being divided. Part of the reason why the beginning of the reading was hard for
me to comprehend could be that this whole chapter was an introduction, and
Massey did not want to necessarily get into all the fun stuff she wanted to
talk about later.
Comments
Post a Comment